Make Your Own Dashi
- Water 1L
- Katsuobushi 20g
- Conbu 10g
- Wipe conbu gently with a wet cloth. Careful not to wash off the white bits (shown), as it contains a lot of flavour.
- Put water in a bowl or pan, and place in the conbu. Leave for at least 30mins, or longer for more flavour.
- If you used a bowl, put the water and conbu in a pan. Place pan on the hob and set on a medium heat, taking out the conbu just before boiling.
- Allow the water to boil for 2 minutes and then take it off the heat.
- Put the Katsuo in the water and allow it to fall to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the katsuo is submerged pour into the cloth and sieve. Pick up the
cloth as shown and hold (don’t squeeze) until all the water is drained.